“Where is the water filter on a Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator?” may be your first question if it’s your first time replacing your Kenmore filter. It would seem daunting if you aren’t used to DIY installation but don’t worry, this guide will help you locate it quickly.
Kenmore Coldspot refrigerators usually have the water filter installed at the upper right-hand corner inside the fridge compartment or in the grille at the bottom of your fridge.
This article will offer details about each Kenmore fridge model to aid you with the Kenmore Coldspot water filter replacement!
Table of Contents
- Kenmore Coldspot Water Filter Location
- How to Locate a Kenmore Water Filter Properly?
- How to Change Kenmore Coldspot 106 Water Filter?
Kenmore Coldspot Water Filter Location
Typically, there are three types of Kenmore refrigerators, and each requires different water filter locations :
1. Smart Refrigerators
All Kenmore smart fridges usually have the water filter housing either on the top left or behind the top shelf.
- Kenmore Elite Smart refrigerators have bottom-freezers, and they typically have drop-down water filters. You would need to depress the tab or lid to access the water filter.
2. Side-by-side Refrigerators
On side-by-side models (two full-length doors), you can see the water filter cartridge on the top right corner of your refrigerator.
- Modern Kenmore Coldspot refrigerators usually belong to this style/type. Some of them may also have a built-in water filter on the bottom portion of your fridge, underneath the freezer doors.
- For example, Kenmore coldspot 106 water filter location is either behind the base grille or inside the fridge, depending on the Coldspot model/series you have.
- Kenmore Elite 106 series side-by-side models have their water filter inserted in the bottom front grille.
- On the other hand, older Kenmore Coldspot refrigerators may have an external water filter attached at the back of the fridge that is connected to the water supply line.
If you need to replace Kenmore Coldspot model 106 water filter, your fridge manual comes in handy because Kenmore 106 series come in different sizes and shapes.
3. French Door Refrigerators
Kenmore french door fridges are among the prominent and latest trends in refrigerator designs. They have two side-by-side freezer doors and one or two drawers for the freezer compartment.
- The water filter on a Kenmore Elite refrigerator is commonly found in the upper-left hand corner of your fridge (e.g., Kenmore Elite 795 series)
How to Locate a Kenmore Water Filter Properly?
Changing a Kenmore Coldspot water filter for the first time is challenging, especially if you don’t know where to find it. Here are five straightforward ways to track down your water filter easily:
- Step 1: Do a little research and refer to the replacement instructions indicated in your user manual to help you gear up.
- Step 2: If you no longer have the manual, a simple trick to determine the exact location of your Kenmore Coldspot water filter is to check the nameplate attached to your unit’s exterior. It should have a model number/serial number.
The first three digits, followed by a dot, tells which companies/suppliers produced your Kenmore refrigerator. The prefixes 198, 664, 665, 110, and 106 are all manufactured by Whirlpool.
Look up the model online, download the available PDF manual, and find the necessary information about the water filter for Kenmore refrigerator.
- Step 3: Join online discussion forums about Kenmore refrigerators. The peer-to-peer discussion will help you find the answers that you seek. You may meet users with the same concern as yours.
- Step 4: Contact the dealer or the store where you bought your refrigerator and ask them for all the necessary information.
- Step 5: Reach out to the Kenmore Customer Support. You can call or send them an email, and a customer service representative will immediately attend to your technical quandaries.
Whether searching for a Coldspot model or not, these tricks and hacks will spot your water filter painlessly.
How to Change Kenmore Coldspot 106 Water Filter?
1. Locate the water filter
As discussed, Kenmore Coldspot 106 series have different water filter locations based on size, shape, and model number, so you must search thoroughly. Unplug your refrigerator and turn off the cold water supply.
Most Coldspot 106 models have in-grille water filters. Look for the base grille of your refrigerator. You should see either a door compartment or a screw hole with a cap on the end of the filter.
Consult your refrigerator manual if you can’t find the exact location.
2. Remove the old filter
Lay a towel or a pitcher on the floor to catch any water drips. Lift the door cover if available. If you see an eject button, push it. Then firmly pull the old filter out of the way to discard it.
3. Insert the new filter
Unbox the new water filter and remove any caps or protective seals. Secure the filter cap if necessary and insert the filter into the housing until it locks in place.
4. Flush the filter
Flush the residual water before using the filter. Prepare a large bucket and turn the cold water supply back on. Once the water flow runs clear, close the faucet and attach the cap (if available).
5. Reset the water dispenser
Lastly, reset the water dispenser. Resetting the dispenser varies according to your Coldspot model. Refer to the manual for the complete instructions.
Where is the water filter on a Kenmore Coldspot refrigerator? You can find it in the grille or inside the fridge compartment. The location continuously varies depending on your Coldspot model.
We have tackled how easy it is to locate the water filter. Now, you don’t need to worry about missing its replacement date.
Always use your fridge manual first to save you time and energy. Calling tech support should be your last resort. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to comment below!
I am Natalie Bridges. You can call me Nat. I am the content creator of Saveourh2o. My main job is researching common concerns you need help with, and about your home’s water system. I aspire to incorporate Ronald’s experiences, and customers’ feedback on different products, as well as expert’s advice to offer you the most informative content.