Do you regularly check the condition of your PUR faucet-mounted filtration system at home? It is a tough job to diagnose the operation problems here and there.
One of the common problems you could encounter with your residential filtration system is a dirty filter. That is why it is vital to keep your PUR faucet filter clean.
It prevents impurities from entering your taps. Thus, providing clean access to drinking water for your home. So how to clean PUR water filter faucet mount?
No need to get worked up! Just prepare the right cleaning tools and follow our step-by-step guide below!
Table of Contents
- Step by Step to Clean PUR Water Filter Faucet Mount
- What to prepare:
- Step 1. Detach the PUR faucet filter mount
- Step 2. Inspect the filter mount for any damages
- Step 3. Take apart PUR water filter system
- Step 4. Flush the filter media
- Step 5. Clean and disinfect the filter mount
- Step 6. Rinse and dry the filter mount
- Step 7. Reassemble the unit
- Step 8. Test the newly-cleaned water filter
Step by Step to Clean PUR Water Filter Faucet Mount
What to prepare:
To keep your PUR filter in top shape, these essential cleaning supplies are a must-have :
- PUR faucet filter manual – You will find the owner’s guide handy especially if it’s your first time performing DIY repairs and maintenance as it provides concise and comprehensive PUR water filter faucet instructions.
- Gentle cleaning solution – Use a mild dish soap and warm water mixture to wash the filter components. Pour 1 tbsp of dishwashing liquid into a bowl filled with a cup of warm water.
- Disinfectant – A vinegar solution makes a formidable disinfectant for your water filter. Combine equal parts of vinegar and lukewarm water in another bowl.
- Sponge – A dish sponge is necessary to remove any loose dirt/particles on the filter and its canister/housing.
- Soft-bristle brush – A soft-bristle brush is essential to eliminate stubborn fine particles stuck on the filter.
Step 1. Detach the PUR faucet filter mount
To remove the filter mount from the sink spigot, determine the filter type. If you have a PUR water filter horizontal design, unscrew the device by twisting the threaded mounting nut clockwise.
Vertical models, on the other hand, consist of two white release buttons surrounding the mounting port. Press these buttons simultaneously to disconnect the filter from the threaded adapter of the faucet.
Step 2. Inspect the filter mount for any damages
PUR filters usually have an average 3-month lifespan depending on your household usage.
If your family frequently uses water for daily activities, you may need to change PUR water filter more often.
Before you clean water filter faucet, you must look for any signs of wear and tear, such as stains/discolorations; and cracks/breaks. These signs will help determine if you need to clean or replace the PUR water filter.
Be sure to check the rubber gasket and the mesh screen disk inserted into the threaded end of the adapter that connects to the faucet; These components help filter the sediments and improve the water flow in your system.
Step 3. Take apart PUR water filter system
Typically, all you have to do is to twist the top cap of the filter canister and take out the filter.
PUR filters fit most pitcher and faucet filtration systems. If you have a different model, you might as well prepare the user guide to help you disassemble the filter device efficiently.
Step 4. Flush the filter media
Before flushing the filter, shake the filter cartridge to sweep away the dirt and grime stuck on the exteriors of the filter.
Hold the filter under your trash can and tap the canister to unload the dust particles inside;
This pre-cleaning method helps eliminate as much loose debris as possible, making overall cleaning easier and faster.
Finally, run cold water through the filter for 5-10 minutes to rinse away any remaining dirt and particles.
Step 5. Clean and disinfect the filter mount
Dampen the dish sponge with the gentle cleaning solution and clean PUR water dispenser spout.
Then scrub the filter mount to remove the debris and sediments lingering on the surface.
Use your soft-bristle brush to eliminate all the deep-seated dirt, grime, and grease stuck in the threads; You can also use this method to clean Brita faucet filter effectively.
For tougher stains, use vinegar solution to soften, remove and disinfect them completely.
Mix one part vinegar to four parts of water in a large bowl or medium-sized bucket. Finally, soak the filter canister in the solution for 15 minutes.
Step 6. Rinse and dry the filter mount
Remove the filter mount from the solution and run it under the tap water until it looks cleaner and the water runs clear.
Shake the filter to discard excess residual water. Put the cleaned filter on the dish rack. Placing the rack in a well-ventilated area will help dry the filter quickly.
Step 7. Reassemble the unit
PUR water filter installation is relatively easy as you only need to insert the pieces in the opposite order you removed them.
First, replace the filter cartridge inside its housing; Gently push the filter head into its slot inside until you hear a click.
Replace the front cover of the housing and finger-tighten it. Set the screen and washer inside the aerator adapter properly.
Before reinstalling the device into the sink faucet, level it to ensure a tight seal.
Step 8. Test the newly-cleaned water filter
Switch on the tap water and leave it running for at least 5 minutes until you see little bubbles forming on the exteriors of the filter.
It is necessary to wash out the filter before using it to remove the last batch of stuck-on debris.
The importance of cleaning PUR faucet mounted filter system
Just like any water filtration technology, it is crucial to clean and disinfect PUR faucet filters to prevent dirt and sediment buildup from entering our water supply.
Water filters deteriorate over time, so it is necessary to inspect the filter regularly to determine if it needs cleaning or replacing.
How long does the PUR faucet last?
Generally, you can change a PUR water filter faucet after three months, which equates to a service life of 100 gallons for an average household.
How to prolong the life of the PUR faucet filter?
To extend the commercial lifespan of your PUR faucet filter, you should do the essential maintenance tasks :
- Unlike refrigerator filters with a maximum 6-month service life, faucet filters have a shorter lifespan, so it is necessary to flush the faucet filter regularly; Flushing the filter now and then helps keep contaminants at bay.
- Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals when cleaning the water filter, as they can dramatically damage the filter.
- Once cleaned, put the filter in a well-ventilated area; Place it in a drying rack, away from the sun; Exposing the filter in direct sunlight shortens its lifespan.
Is PUR water filter dishwasher safe?
The components of a PUR filter are not considered dishwasher safer; The heat inside the machine can melt the cohesive properties of the filter cartridge.
Moreover, faucet mount units have electronics, making it more risky to run them over the dishwasher.
The PUR faucet filter is undeniably one of the most sought-after household water filter technologies to date; Its formidable filtration capabilities are noteworthy.
But just like any other filters in the market, PUR faucet models degrade in due course.
That is why learning how to clean PUR water filter faucet mount appropriately will help you increase its lifespan.
All you need to do is prepare the right cleaning essentials and follow the basic maintenance procedures to get the most out of your PUR filter!
For any questions and suggestions, feel free to share them in the comment section below.
I am Natalie Bridges. You can call me Nat. I am the content creator of Saveourh2o. My main job is researching common concerns you need help with, and about your home’s water system. I aspire to incorporate Ronald’s experiences, and customers’ feedback on different products, as well as expert’s advice to offer you the most informative content.