A slow PUR water filter in the scorching heat of the day can be very frustrating. If your water filter takes forever to fill up a glass of drinking water, it is safe to assume that it has been saturated with numerous contaminants that lead to clogging.
Depending on your water source and condition, this problem could arise earlier than expected. There is no need to get worked up! We’ve got you covered with the most straightforward ways on how to unclog a PUR water filter at home!
Table of Contents
Step by Step to Unclog a PUR Water filter
What to Prepare
A clogged water filter is easy to fix with the right tools and supplies in hand:
- PUR filter manual – It is vital to consult your user manual to understand how the water filter works. It will help you perform and recall some troubleshooting steps for your PUR filter.
- Cleaning Essentials – If you seek help from the Reddit community about the clogging problem, you may see suggestions to clean a PUR water filter as their most cited answer.
To clean and unclog water filter completely, you need the following :
- Gentle Cleanser – Prepare a gentle cleanser like dish soap and hot water mixture to clean the outer casing and vessel of the filter. Use a diluted vinegar solution to disinfect the filter cartridge.
- Bucket – You would need 2, large enough to submerge and deep-clean the entire filter components in THE cleaning solution.
- A soft brush
- A screwdriver
Why is the Faucet Filter Clogged?
The root cause of a clogged faucet filter is either a mineral or air buildup, causing a drop in water pressure. You may often notice your water spurting up or not draining properly due to the blockage.
Steps to Clean the PUR Water Filter
Clean PUR water dispenser, pitcher, fridge, or faucet filter in 6 easy steps:
- Remove the water filter inside the PUR model
- Rinse the filter to remove any noticeable dirt or debris
- Use a brush and liquid soap to scrub stubborn stains in the filter
- Rinse the filter well and soak it in a gentle cleaning solution
- Wash the filter thoroughly and empty the residual water
- Let it dry before reinstalling
What is inside the PUR water filter?
Inside a PUR filter is a proprietary blend of activated carbon media made from coconut shells and ion-exchange vessels.
How do I know if my water filter is clogged?
Place your filter under a glass of water and leave it to soak for 24 hours. If you see specks of dirt floating in the glass, you have a PUR filter clogged with contaminants. Hence, regular cleaning is advisable.
Why is my water filter running too fast?
Generally, if your water filter operates unusually fast, a faulty installation is to blame. Installing PUR water filter is easy! Follow the specialized instructions in your user manual, and you are good to go.
If you receive an incomplete water filter installation package, you may email the PUR consumer support team to assist you with the replacement.
Why is my new PUR filter slow?
If your new PUR filter not letting water through, it could contain air bubbles trapped inside.
To test the filter for an air lock, remove the filter and put it in a jar filled with water. The filter should sink to the bottom of the glass.
If it floats, your filter has air bubbles.
Poor water quality can also be a culprit to slow filtration. If you live in areas with high turbidity, your filter media can get clogged easier.
Follow the PUR water filter hack we shared above to help you fix this issue.
Water filter maintenance is crucial to extend the lifespan of our water filtration products. Knowing how to unclog a PUR water filter will help you enjoy potable water throughout the day!
After reading our guide, you should be able to gauge if your PUR filter needs cleaning or replacing; If you have any questions or suggestions, leave them in the comment box below.
I am Natalie Bridges. You can call me Nat. I am the content creator of Saveourh2o. My main job is researching common concerns you need help with, and about your home’s water system. I aspire to incorporate Ronald’s experiences, and customers’ feedback on different products, as well as expert’s advice to offer you the most informative content.