Limescale buildup can lead to expensive repairs and replacements in your plumbing systems and fixtures. It’s why you need to ensure scale doesn’t accumulate, and one tool to help with it includes the best electronic water descaler.
It can deal with the limescale deposits that collect and settle on home appliances, plumbing fixtures, faucets, and other places due to hard water.
To find the right one, I’ve researched and compiled the top-tier products, listed their pros and cons, and written about their most essential features and benefits. I hope you can find the right electronic descaler that will improve your water supply’s overall quality.
An electric water conditioner is a cost-effective solution for addressing limescale issues in the home. Consider these three factors when choosing the top-quality electric water descaler to make your purchase worthwhile.
- Type: Electric water conditioners feature either of two types of technology: electromagnetic or capacitive. Most households use electromagnetic water conditioners because they are more affordable. However, capacitive water descalers are on the rise because of better water-conditioning efficiency despite being expensive.
- Descaling Efficiency: A downside of water conditioners is their limited hard water descaling efficiency. Most electric water descalers can only manage 25 grains per gallon (GPG). Hence, buyers should note the product’s descaling efficiency and compare it with their personal requirements.
- Compatibility: Electric water conditioners have electrodes that wrap around water pipes to produce an electromagnetic field. Capacitive descalers have sensors that detect electrical capacitance along the water supply line. Sadly, some products might not work with plastic water tubes. So buyers should check if the electric water conditioner they want is compatible with the household plumbing.
Let’s start with the reviews, and then discuss the considerations and answer the most frequently asked questions.
Table of Contents
- Top 9 Electronic Water Descaler Reviews
- 1. iSpring ED2000 Electronic Descaler
- 2. YARNA Electronic Water Descaler
- 3. Eddy Electronic Water Descaler
- 4. HQUA 5000E Electronic Water Descaler
- 5. CPTDCL Electronic Descaler Water
- 6. H2oEliteLabs Water Conditioner
- 7. YARNA CWD30 Capacitive Water Descaler
- 8. Scalesweeper Water Descaler
- 9. SB-75 ScaleBlaster
- What Is An Electronic Water Descaler/ Who Is This For
- How Do Electronic Water Escalers Work
- What Are The Different Types Of Electronic Water Descalers
- Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using An Electronic Water Descaler
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Top 9 Electronic Water Descaler Reviews
1. iSpring ED2000 Electronic Descaler
The best electronic water descaler is an alternative water softener that reduces hard water effects, which can be an issue for metallic surfaces. Hard water can result in limescale buildup that can settle and eventually ruin your plumbing system and fixtures’ integrity, resulting in hefty repairs and parts replacement.
If you want to prevent these issues, you must use this water conditioner to improve water quality and reduce hard water’s harmful effects.
The iSpring ED2000 works effectively in descaling the water, preventing scale buildup in the pipes and fixtures. It’s compatible with any water pipe, including PVC and PEX.
Unlike a water softener that adds salt to the water supply, it works well without salt, which is one of its cool features. You might want to opt for this unit if you don’t want any salt in your water.
This water descaler can prevent scale deposits in your faucets, sinks, and showerheads. These substances can be easily wiped off and prevent the clogging of your system.
Using it, you can have peace of mind that these minerals will not collect on metal surfaces, dishes, and water-utilizing appliances, such as washing machines. With it, you can also rest assured of these appliances’ efficiency and the easier washing of clothes and dishes.
But then, it also has some cons, just like other water descalers. This model can only work for hardness levels from 10-19 grains. You must also use a water softener and if your water hardness is at least 25.
Overall, it is one of the most suitable choices for better soap lathering and smoother hair. It is also the pick for people who want an easy installation and no maintenance requirement.
- The compact unit allows for easy installation even in a small space
- Prevents deposits of faucets, sinks, and showerheads
- Smoother hair and better soap lathering
- No salt or chemicals required versus a water softening system
- Can work on PVC, PEX, and other water pipes
- Recommended use of a water softener to increase efficiency for water with 25 grains of hardness
- Can work only for water hardness from 10-19 grains
2. YARNA Electronic Water Descaler
A large-capacity electronic water descaler, the YARNA capacitive descaling system is another whole house electronic hard water conditioner descaler system that you can count on.
This model offers plenty of benefits, mainly its ability to prevent rust formation and limescale buildup. What do these mean for you?
You can keep your plumbing system at its top peak of performance because limescale collection won’t be an issue anymore. No rust also means no replacement of faucets, sinks, fixtures, and other metallic surfaces where water is passing through.
I also like to note that the softener alternative conditions the water in your home without adding salt to it versus a water softening system, which is suitable for loved ones who may be allergic to salt.
While it is not a water softener, this descaling unit works so effectively in improving the lathering of soap. It merely translates to more savings in money and time. You can also achieve healthier hair, which will not be more prone to split ends and dryness. You and your loved ones don’t even have to deal with itchy scalp and skin.
I’d also recommend this softener alternative to people without plumbing knowledge because it does not require any special tools or professional assistance. It can also work with any pipes up to one inch in thickness, and these include copper, iron, and plastic. This model can also treat up to 3500 liters of water per hour at a 99% efficiency.
However, this model’s price is on the high side, but it should not stop you from considering it if you’re looking for an efficient and reliable descaler.
Overall, it is a top-rated item, as you might have probably read in an electronic water descaler review. This model is also efficient and requires no maintenance. It will not also add any salt to your system and can be installed quickly.
- Doesn’t require salt or adds salt into the supply
- Easy and quick installation even with no electrical or plumbing knowledge
- Ideal for dealing with blocked piping systems and preventing rust accumulation
- Treatment capacity up to 3500 liters per hour
- Protects the hair from split ends and dryness; no more itchy scalp and skin
- Costs more than others in the list
3. Eddy Electronic Water Descaler
The Water Softener Alternative is a great pick overall versus water softeners. It is a consistent top-rated choice in the category and for cool reasons. While comparing the different alternatives, I discovered that this system is a favorite among consumers looking for an efficient water-descaling unit.
Most people living in a place where hard water is a common issue, pick this over the others because it can effectively prevent the buildup of limescale and deposits in showerheads, pipes, faucets, and sinks.
While doing so, this system does not require adding salt to the system and your water supply. What does that mean? It just translates to healthier water. And speaking of that, this unit does not remove calcium and magnesium from the water, unlike water softeners. As a result, your scalp, skin, and hair are healthy and protected day by day.
While treating water effectively, it also helps maintain the efficiency of your furnaces and heaters, including tankless models. The reason is, this unit helps in lessening the straining of such devices; thus, you can also have peace of mind of not having to replace them often or spend on repairs.
In terms of efficiency, the EDDY unit helps prevent rust on different surfaces, such as pipes, sinks, and faucets. Water-utilizing appliances, including washing machines and coffee makers, can also prevent damage because of improved water quality.
There is no required wire cutting or plumbing change to install this unit. And if you can install it yourself for its straightforward design, you don’t also need to hire any plumber or professional. As it’s not using any salt, you can save money in the end while also not removing useful minerals like calcium from your water supply unlike water softeners.
- Fits many types of pipes and requires no plumbing alterations
- Needs no maintenance or salt replenishment vs. salt-based conditioners
- Quick and easy to install; no special tools required
- Promotes healthy scalp, skin, and hair
- Eco-friendly and cost-saving alternative to water softeners
- Not recommended for iron or lead pipes
4. HQUA 5000E Electronic Water Descaler
Water softeners treat the water but cause some issues, including additional salt in your diet and water. They require maintenance every couple of months, depending on water hardness.
They also treat the water but only replace the calcium with salt. Calcium, however, is needed by the body, just like magnesium. Water softeners can remove these wanted minerals, but a water descaler does not.
People who want to prevent these issues from arising opt for a water softener alternative like the HQUA 5000E. It is a salt-free solution that will help keep limescale formation away from your water supply.
This unit also promotes rust prevention and removal, so you can rest assured you don’t need to spend much money on frequent, unwanted repairs.
The Water Softener Alternative unit is also a breeze to install. You don’t need any plumbing help or special tools to get it started to work. Once installed, it can immediately work to eliminate the hard limescale already in your plumbing system.
I recommend this system for people who want a large capacity, whole house electronic hard water conditioner & descaler system that can treat hardness in water with fewer than 25 GPG. You can also choose it no matter your plumbing type, plastic, iron, or copper, but make sure it’s not bigger than 1 1/2 -inch pipes.
The problem is that quality control issues were reported on this softener alternative, including missing parts, but these were isolated, and many customers received support to solve these.
Overall, this unit is eco- and pocket-friendly. It doesn’t cost much to operate vs. a traditional water softener that requires frequent maintenance, especially if your water supply has an excessive hardness.
- No special tools or plumbing help needed
- Dissolves existing limescale
- Can promote rust prevention and removal
- Doesn’t add salt into the water and diet, while working efficiently
- Eco-friendly and maintenance-free
- There’s a low chance of quality control issues
5. CPTDCL Electronic Descaler Water
This DIY electronic water conditioner relieves you from worries about hard water, including limescale formation on metallic surfaces and other areas where water passes through. The impact of hard water, which also leads to poor soap lathering, can be addressed.
Additionally, you can rest assured of softer and smoother hair and healthier skin while not worrying about the added salt in your water supply.
The softener alternative is also surprisingly easy to install because of its sleek and straightforward design with fewer moving parts. That said, you don’t need to hire a plumber to set it up for you, not to mention it does not require any special tools.
This softener alternative also has indicator lights that can alert you if it’s not working correctly, giving you enough time to troubleshoot and get it back to work the soonest.
How about the electricity consumption you may be asking? This model is designed and created using the latest technology for a cost-effective solution, so you don’t need to worry about escalated electricity bills.
I like that this unit is ideal for tankless water heaters, improving its efficiency to prevent hefty repairs and maintenance. Plus, this salt-free water conditioner makes the water feel softer for your skin, hair, and scalp. This model is also ideal for use at home and for people on a salt-restricted diet.
Although this softener alternative is not for use in homes with water hardness above 12 GPG, it’s still a cool choice for individuals who want to condition water without adding salt to their supply. It is also suitable for those who want to keep their scalp, hair, and skin healthy.
Finally, this system is great for tankless water heaters, so you might want to consider it to improve your heater’s efficiency.
- No need for salt, chemicals, and maintenance
- Prevents limescale buildup in pipes
- Ideal for people on a salt-restricted diet
- Can be used for tankless water heaters
- Promotes healthy scalp and skin
- Not for use in water hardness range above 12 GPG
6. H2oEliteLabs Water Conditioner
Are you looking for a DIY water conditioner? A salt-free water conditioner like this H2oEliteLabs can help! It is another recommended product in the category.
This electronic descaler water conditioner is loaded with convenience features, including ease of installation and no maintenance requirement. That said, you don’t need to hire a professional to set it up and get it started working.
This alternative salt-free water conditioner is useful in protecting your plumbing system from any limescale deposits and mineral buildup. Using it, you can rest assured not to spend on frequent repairs or maintenance.
Plus, it can offer you peace of mind that your family will be using higher quality water because this descaler can reduce the impact of hard water. As a result, you can take advantage of easier soap lathering, which can cut laundry time.
You can also prevent itchy skin, which is an issue for people whose supply is hard water. The H2OEliteLabs can help you achieve smoother and softer skin that feels good to the touch. In addition, it promotes healthy hair and scalp and protects the plumbing fixtures and faucets from getting damaged.
Speaking of damage, the water conditioner can prevent the formation of and promote rust removal. That said, the whole house descaler can also keep your plumbing system efficient. Furthermore, this is a DIY system that you can install for yourself, and it can extend your appliances’ lifespan.
- Can protect the whole house plumbing system
- Solves hard water issues, including poor soap lathering and dry skin
- Can save you time from cleaning the faucet, sink, or toilet
- Extends the lifespan of home appliances
- DIY system that doesn’t require hiring a professional
- Might not be the most durable around
7. YARNA CWD30 Capacitive Water Descaler
The top-tier electronic water conditioner is another quality YARNA descaler that receives numerous positive feedbacks from users. There is no doubt why because it works efficiently in whole house water conditioning. The CWD30 is also a safer and better choice than a salt-based system that adds salt to your water supply.
This descaler can work effectively in reducing the effects of hard water on one’s household. For example, using it can extend the lifespan of your heaters, boilers, coffee makers, and washing machines, among other water-utilizing appliances.
This unit can also keep you from spending money on replacements and repairs, saving more in the end.
More so, the water conditioner uses leading technology that can break down the minerals into powder, preventing them from forming and accumulating limescale that can clog your pipes and damage your fixtures. And you can make this unit even more effective by using water filtration, water treatment, or a reverse osmosis system.
This works better than a softening system because it retains the water’s useful minerals, aside from softening it. It is also a chemical-free solution that lets you take advantage of higher-quality water without additional products.
- Ideal for reducing the harmful effects of hard water in your plumbing
- Treats but doesn’t remove useful substances like calcium
- Top technology to break minerals into powder
- A chemical-free, salt-free system
- Setting up is a breeze; no professional help is needed.
- Can improve performance if used with another water treatment device
8. Scalesweeper Water Descaler
The SCALESWEEPER water conditioner is another cost-effective solution for treating hard water and reducing its harmful effects, including damaging your plumbing system, water-utilizing appliances, and other metal surfaces, like showerhead sinks.
It can also promote a higher water quality, which results in smooth and soft hair and healthy skin. Besides, it can improve soap’s lathering ability, cutting the time in doing the laundry. Plus, it can prevent rust formation, which can reduce the efficiency of faucets, too.
I am impressed that this unit can protect appliances, including water dispensers, heaters, boilers, humidifiers, and other water-utilizing ones. It can help maintain the efficiency of your plumbing system and prevent wear and tear as well. No rust means a longer lifespan for your faucets and plumbing fixtures.
This model can help treat hard water up to 25 GPG, and it requires no maintenance, unlike water softeners. I’d also like to recommend this item because it is a DIY unit that lets you install it in a breeze without a plumber. It has a high capacity of up to 1680 gallons per hour, which is an excellent benefit if you’re a large household.
- Removes and stops current limescale buildup
- Can protect appliances, including water dispensers and heaters
- Can treat hard water levels up to 25 GPG
- Can be installed in a breeze without a plumber
- No maintenance required and long life
- Indoor installation and use only.
9. SB-75 ScaleBlaster
With so many consumers enjoying the ScaleBlaster SB0-75, you will also find joy and satisfaction on this excellent water descaler. Clearwater Enviro Technologies, Inc, inventor of the ScaleBlaster, made sure that more shoppers can purchase this product because of its affordable price.
Its performance is nothing short of excellent, though, because this system ensures limescale deposits are prevented from building up.
There are no more worries about Calcium deposits and corrosions on your plumbing systems, water fixtures, and appliances that frequently have water running in them. What’s best is it can remove existing deposits too.
Due to this, you can be happier knowing that your washing machines, water heaters, sinks, and even dishwashers can last longer—no need to worry about the costs of repair and replacements because ScaleBlaster has got you covered.
Additionally, the ScaleBlaster is cost-effective. With its compact size and zero-maintenance features, you just spend on the equipment itself and then null expenses moving forward. It does not require any salt to operate, which is an additional expense.
It also makes sure that water is used efficiently for it to regenerate. There are no filters to replace either regularly. There is no monetary binder from your side.
With a salt-free system, you also keep the environment happy. The ecological balance is retailed because there is no salt being discharged to our groundwater system. The ground is not absorbing any either, so the plants and animals can be kept content.
Installation is easy too, but you’ll need an outlet within 5 feet, and you are all set. You can see the difference right after the initial installation.
- Keep limescale and Calcium deposits away from your plumbing systems
- Zero operational and maintenance costs
- Reduces to removes scaling
- Budget and eco-friendly
- Installation is easy and can be done by yourself
- Not compatible with galvanized or iron pipes
What Is An Electronic Water Descaler/ Who Is This For
The use of hard water often results in the buildup of limescale. Your household plumbing, fixtures, and appliances frequently exposed to hard water are the most affected. Limescale buildup is not just an unpleasant sight, but its removal is also tedious and frustrating.
A water descaler system like the electronic type effectively gets rid of this unsightly buildup. Salt-free water systems are the same as descaling systems. Such systems are also referred to as “salt-free water conditioners.” However, they do not, in any way, soften or descale your water.
An electronic water descaler makes the process of decreasing the effects of hard water possible. It will not convert hard water into soft water, but it reduces hard water’s negative impact.
Based on the studies, when the mineral component is left suspended and hanging on the water’s surface are charged, its overall structure is altered to a circular form. This change in the construction will stop the minerals from forming and thus building scale deposits.
Electronic water descalers increase the solubility of your water’s hard components. As a result, all the hard particles can pass through your plumbing more smoother without causing it to scale. It doesn’t use any salt, and it keeps the required and positive substances in water.
Electronic water descalers are recommended for folks living in areas where the water is not 100% hard. It is also ideal for those who are not agreeable with the expensive cost of water softeners. If you find water softener installation hard and quite a hassle, this is for you.
Since there are zero salts used in the process, this becomes a perfect solution for people who are allergic to salt. Those who have existing kidney diseases and heart problems where salt-based water softeners are not an option may opt for this alternative. Those using tankless water heaters and areas where water softeners are banned can also use this instead.
How Do Electronic Water Escalers Work
The technology and process working behind an electronic water descaler are very cool.
The primary process that sets it apart from salt-based water softeners and other water filter alternatives is the fact that it does not, in any way, remove anything from the water.
As designed, water softeners will be removing contaminants and particles from your water by using a filtering agent in the form of resin or salt. Electronic water descalers are designed differently because they change the water’s molecular structure without taking out anything.
This method will ensure that the water can flow freely and remove the water molecules’ chance of sticking to each other. In the process, limescale buildup would be less likely to occur.
Using a powerful combination of cable/metal and electricity grouping, electronic water descalers build up a force that will alter the water’s molecular structure. The cable bands, or sometimes metal wrapped around the water’s main supply pipe, generate an electromagnetic wave that stops in hardness particles and eventually repositions them.
With this rearrangement happening, the water can flow through the pipes and fixtures and into the appliances in a molecular structure most suitable for your plumbing because the Magnesium and Calcium are converted in a softer and less corrosive manner.
Note that if these molecules are not structurally altered, the minerals that are left suspended become harmful to the metal surfaces of your pipes, fixtures, and appliances with frequent water contact.
Not only will you be faced with limescale buildup but also the risk of clogging and your appliances losing their efficiency. You’d be confronted by potential repairs and replacements, which cost a lot of money.
What Are The Different Types Of Electronic Water Descalers
Choosing the right kind of electronic water descaler is essential so that its primary objective and purpose can be achieved.
The types of electronic water descalers are:
Electromagnetic water descalers – this type is also commonly referred to as magnetic water descalers. This is a plug-in device that homeowners can clip into their incoming pipe. As a result, the established magnetic field alters the properties of the water’s minerals. These minerals are specific to Calcium-Carbonate. The pipes reject these minerals due to the altered components, so the Calcium buildup is prevented.
Capacitive electronic descaler – by far claimed to be the top-tier type of descaler because of the technology-infused on it. Two wires with the water are the components needed to form the capacitor. This capacitor will then store the energy and eventually release it when needed.
Capacitive technology, in most cases, always utilizes water to its own benefit. As the most effective, it is also the most expensive of all. Maintenance-free, you can automatically see the effects in your water after the installation.
DIY electronic water descalers – this is your build your own electronic descaler, and the process is not complicated at all. The steps to create one are:
- Look for the incoming main pipe of your cold water. This is usually found under your staircase or your sink.
- Identify where you will place the two-wire coils along the pipe.
- Tightly wind the two coils around the main water pipe.
- Attach the main component of the descaler to your wall using a heavy-duty Velcro and plug the two coils.
- Your DIY electronic descaler is all set, and you can already turn it on.
Knowing the advantages of every type can help you decide which one is the best for you. One type can be better than the other solely based on how efficient it meets your needs.
The principle it follows is the same, though, regardless of whether it doesn’t remove anything on the water’s components but focuses on altering your water components.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using An Electronic Water Descaler
Having a whole-house electronic, hard water conditioner & descaler system have many perks. Depending on your overall water hardness level, this is the solution to having better water quality while at the same time preventing the risks of limescale buildup. Here are just some of the benefits that you get when you opt to use this type of water system:
- Cost-effective – nothing beats an effective system that is pocket-friendly. You’re not just looking at the system’s initial purchase, but the operational costs and maintenance costs are also affordable. On average, you only need to allocate a budget of $5 to $7 per year for its operation. Maintenance costs are minimal to zero, unlike water softeners with which you need a steady replenishment of salt and filters to be replaced now and then. It doesn’t give your energy a shock because it is low in usage, so your electrical bills would remain pretty much the same.
- No more limescale buildup – this is one main reason why water descalers are installed, and it does an excellent job of ensuring that you can make the most out of your pipes, fixtures, and appliances. You won’t need to repair or replace it anytime soon because you won’t have ugly scaling problems. Your pipes are also well protected from corrosion.
- Easy installation – regardless of brand, electronic water conditioners boast an effortless and easy installation process. Homeowners don’t need a professional to get this incorporated into their incoming plumbing system. In about less than an hour, you’ll be all set, and the system will automatically work.
- Eco-friendly – there will be no high amounts of salt discharge into the groundwater and sewers. It sustains the ecological balance. Lesser plant and animal lives would be disturbed by the high salt content that the ground absorbs.
No product is perfect, and a water descaler also has its shortcomings and drawbacks:
- Limited use – water descalers don’t work on stagnant water stored in your reservoir. It only works with running water.
- It doesn’t soften water – you won’t get softer water with a descaler. It will not remove any contaminants and bacteria from your water. Hard minerals would still be present in your water.
- Maximum Water Level Hardness – if your area naturally has a high level of hardness, the softener’s efficacy might not be as suitable. This system is best only for areas whose water hardness is below 25 grains per gallon.
Choosing which electronic water descaler can be difficult because there are many great brands on the market today, and the difference between each brand from the other is very minimal. When buying, the brand should be secondary to your decision.
Always remember that what works for your friend or neighbor may not necessarily work for you. It would help if you considered your personal needs because every home is different.
Here are the factors that you need to consider when shopping:
Installation – almost all electronic water descalers are easy to install. But it is understandable that sometimes, non-techie and non-mechanical folks can still be challenged with the process. You have to make sure that you can complete the installation despite not being a DIYer fan. Get a system where the instructions are simple – one that you can comprehend even without any background or prior knowledge in installing such systems. It might be best to go with a brand that can provide support and additional instructions as needed.
Water Supply Capacity and Water Flow Rate – a smaller household size can work with a single electronic water descaler. Still, if your size ranges from mid to extensive household size, you might need more than two salt-free water conditioners to handle your water demand. You also have to take into consideration that water descalers only work when the water is running. This system cannot process stored and stagnant water.
Required maintenance – compared to all other water treatment systems, electric water descalers need the least maintenance, but you also have to consider their longevity and reliability. Should there be any regular maintenance needed, what is the frequency and what needs to be done?
Warranty and Certification – for additional peace of mind, it would be preferable if your choice of descaler comes with CE and FCC certification to UK, US, and EU standards. A warranty from the manufacturer can also allow you to purchase without any stress. You know that the company can provide you with a full refund should you not be fully satisfied with the system’s output.
Package Content – your water descaler of choice shouldn’t be massive that it requires a large space allocation. Your descaler of choice should be space-saving and extremely lightweight for your convenience.
Product Effectiveness – what’s your expected output when you are planning to get a water descaler? Those who want a better quality of water for their overall skin and body care can consider similar feedback like the Hqua 5000e electronic water descaler reviews. After a single use, clothes washed after the water descaler’s installation became softer and smoother on the skin. You have to know the purpose of buying a descaler.
These factors can make your decision-making easier and geared towards your ultimate and unique needs. It would be beneficial at this point to invest some time and effort and research the top electronic descalers that can meet your expectations and essentials. Do not just consider its money back guarantee but also its superbly valuable features.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much does an electronic water conditioner cost?
An electronic anti scale and rust water treatment system can cost families around $200 to $500, depending on the brand, associated technologies, and seller.
For example, Walmart sells the ScaleBlaster SB-30 for about $450, while it only costs less than $90 on eBay. Meanwhile, the Eddy inline water descaler has a $200 price tag.
You might want to ask Reddit users about electric water conditioner prices. And if you want to be smart about your purchase, you can also inquire about a water conditioner brand’s pros and cons.
Whatever electronic scale remover you choose, it remains an economical option for families on a tight budget. As Consumer Reports explains, water softeners can cost households thousands of dollars. And although it’s possible to lease a water-softening system, a $40 to $100 monthly rental fee is still beyond the means of some families.
What happens if I drink water with descaler?
According to Clean Plus Chemicals’ descaler safety data sheet, this chemical agent contains phosphoric acid that can make someone nauseous when ingested. Susceptible individuals might also report stomachaches and diarrhea.
Although acute toxicity only occurs when folks consume more than two grams of descaler for every kilogram of body weight, we advise everyone not to drink water with these chemicals.
You might want to read David Kaspar’s story if you are doubtful about a descaler’s safety. A descaler might be suitable for apartment and home limescale-removal applications, but it is not good for the body.
Can I use an electronic descaler with well source water?
Yes, you can use an electronic descaler with well water to make teeth brushing, showering, car washing, and clothes washing more pleasant.
However, we must caution that most electronic water conditioners can only accommodate water with a maximum hardness level of 25 grains per gallon (GPG) or 427.5 mg/L (427.5 ppm). You are better off with a salt-based water softener if your well water has too many hard minerals.
What are the most trusted electronic water descaler brands?
Purchasing your electronic water descaler can be a little daunting. With so many brands on the market today and each claiming to be the top-rated in quality, functionality, and results, deciding can be intimidating. To help you create a good list of great buys, here are the top and most trusted electronic water descalers:
Eddy Electronic Water Descaler – for that easy installation, eco-friendly, and maintenance-free system. It uses zero salts and maintains all the healthy minerals of your water.
iSpring ED2000 Whole House Electronic Descaler Water Conditioner – a system that can descale your whole household without using any chemicals or salts. This can be easily installed without the need to modify your current plumbing system.
HQUA 5000E Electronic Water Descaler – energy and cost-effective, this is more than capable of dissolving and liquefying limescale.
Scaleblaster – a computerized system that requires zero maintenance with no plumbing modification required during its easy installation process.
Eddy electronic water descaler vs. scaleblaster: Which one is better?
Eddy electronic water descaler and Scaleblaster are two of the top water salt-free water conditioners on the market today. These two brands are guaranteed for their superb quality, efficiency, and reliability.
So, which one is better? Here is an overview of both electronic water descalers:
- Pipe Size Capacity: Eddy at 1.5 inches and ScaleBlaster at 1.25 inches
- Grains per Gallon Capacity: Eddy at 20 gpg and ScaleBlaster at 19 gpg
- Signal Cable Length: Eddy at 5 feet and ScaleBlaster at 46 feet
- Maximum Range: Eddy and ScaleBlaster both at3000+ square feet
Comparing it with each other, there is not much difference between the two brands. The subtle difference can make you favor one brand over the other, depending on your inclination. Although the ScaleBlaster might be on the upper edge because it can be used both indoors and outdoors, unlike Eddy.
The Eddy, though, is more economically friendly. Again, identifying which one is better is entirely up to you, your needs and preferences, and factors like your actual water hardness level and your house’s size.
What is the difference between a descaler and a water softener?
There are two standard systems for hard water treatment. One is the usual water softener and the other one, is an electronic descaler system. There are also other water treatments that you’d want to learn like an electronic water filter. Understanding their differences can help you identify what the most trusted purification treatment applicable to you.
The main difference between these two systems is the process of treating water. Water softeners alter the water’s chemical composition while a water descaler changes the molecular structure. It charges the water and lessens the effects of the minerals that can cause buildup.
Water Descalers Pros
- They are the most affordable water softener alternatives.
- It requires less maintenance.
- Maintenance costs are relatively cheap.
- Installation courtesy of the homeowner and done in less than 20 minutes.
- The rate of the water flow is 100% unaffected.
Water Descaler Cons
- If your primary concern is contaminants, water descalers are not enough. You need to add another filtering solution.
- You need one more descaler depending on the size of your house.
Water System Softener Pros
- Reliable in removing thousands of contaminants
- Flow rates are 100% unaffected.
- Installation is becoming easier.
- New technology is being incorporated to lower down maintenance costs.
- Quiet and independent operation.
Soft Water System Cons
- Expensive because of the product itself, but there is a constant need to replenish salt and filter changes.
- Tedious and complicated installation and constant maintenance
How to install and use?
In areas where limescale affects water quality that flows on pipes, installing an electronic water descaler is necessary. It is an essential device for water treatment and helps maintain healthy minerals in the water.
Having those hard deposits form and settle where your water flows is a stressful matter that needs an immediate solution. If you want to install an electronic water descaler to get rid of limescale, you must consider establishing the right plumbing system.
You can choose your home’s plumbing system, two of which are available. One option that you have is the unvented plumbing system, while the other is the vented system. If you already have one of these, it would be easier for you to know which electronic water descaler to install.
Unvented Systems vs. Vented Systems
You can install an electronic water descaler anywhere on the cold main pipe in an unvented plumbing system. And if you have a vented plumbing system, you will need two water descalers.
In case you have an unvented plumbing system, and you don’t want to change it, there are electronic water descalers that don’t require any modification. Some of these units also fit in all types of pipe. You can call a plumber for help.
Installing and Using Electronic Water Descaler
Clean and safe water for your family is essential, whether it is for drinking or washing the dishes. For this reason, it is best to install an electronic water descaler. The use of this device maintains the cleanliness of the pipes where water flows, and it also protects your appliances.
The installation and way to use it depend on the unit of your choice. Some water descalers do not require any tools. With its easy installation feature, you don’t need to ask for professional help.
When installing the device, you can either connect it to the pipe or mount it on a flat surface. Also, it is recommended not to install it outside. You can also choose to install a water descaler that utilizes a capacitive effect or one with a magnetic effect.
Tips to Remember
- Check the position of the pipes before installing this unit.
- Make sure to install it near an electric outlet.
- Use cable ties when you install the device to secure it.
- Check the connections before plugging it and turning the switch on.
How to care & clean?
Do you think you are wasting your time and money on maintaining your water descaler? When looking for an electronic water descaler, you can see zero maintenance in most packaging. But after installing the unit, it’s better to check it regularly for any deposits accumulated.
To make sure you can use the device for a long time, you should know how to clean and maintain it. You can use your electronic water descaler for a decade or more if you know the proper way to clean and care for it. Below is a list of how you can keep the device for years.
- Read the manual. Before you assemble, install, or clean the unit, read the instructions first.
- The use of cleaning solutions that are not recommended can damage the device.
- Make sure to unplug the unit before cleaning it.
When you notice a different taste in water, limescale might have formed in the pipes.
Check on your water descaler regularly. It is best to know how you can clean it to prevent a sudden replacement. And when you notice that your laundry is stiff, it may be time to clean the device.
The formation of limescale doesn’t help you at all because it gives additional work to do. Scrubbing can be a tiring task, too. By installing an electronic water descaler, you can have an easier life.
You might want to check the label and find one that doesn’t require any maintenance. However, the maintenance cost can also vary based on the cleaning frequency you perform. Finally, it also helps to read the manual for specific directions on cleaning and maintaining your unit.
Where to buy?
You can buy a water descaler in online marketplaces, such as Amazon and eBay. It is also easy to find on home depot and the manufacturer’s website.
The best electronic water descaler is a significant investment. It offers plenty of benefits without the downsides of a water softener. Using this system, you can enjoy softened water but without added chemicals and salt. It also helps prevent the formation of minerals and limescale in your plumbing, showerheads, fixtures, and faucets, translating to maximum savings in the end.
This unit also improves the efficiency of your appliances and equipment like tanks, dishwashers, and boilers while eliminating the need for frequent repairs. We’re hoping this guide has shed some light on choosing the right water descaler. Compare and study your options well and use a reliable water descaler today!
Hi, I am Ronald, founder of Saveourh2o. With this website, we aim to solve all the problems related to your water filters, softeners, and heaters. I have five years working in water equipment sales & service. I hope to bring the knowledge gathered from my daily work to help you to achieve comfort and safety in your home!